COMMUNICATOR | STRATEGIST | BRAND-BUILDER | HEALTHCARE JOURNALIST
I am a senior executive with broad, cross-discipline experience. Proficiencies: integrated communications, strategy, communications metrics, marketing (brand, campaign and digital), branding, media relations, reputation management, audience engagement, crisis communications, editorial management, and marketing communications. Digital and social media strategies and best practices. Vendor/agency management.
SEIU International Union, Washington, D.C. | July 2016 to present
SEIU advocates for healthcare justice, racial justice, labor rights, and immigration reform.
Position: Senior Healthcare Communicator
- Create and implement earned media strategy for national and local ACA/Medicaid campaigns.
- Lead engagement and communications best practices for local union communicators.
- Manage strategy, implementation and creation of division communications.
- Write and manage media communications such as op-eds and leadership statements.
- Manage communications strategy for division growth and political/legislative/advocacy campaigns.
- Manage external media relations strategy and implementation.
- Provide spokesperson training for local leaders and members.
- Manage executive communications for leadership as needed.
Chief Officer for Scientific Workforce Diversity- National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD | February 2016 to July 2016
The Chief Officer for Scientific Workforce Diversity (COSWD) promotes diversity of the scientific workforce.
Position: Communications Lead (Temporary Contractor)
- Created and executed media strategies to increase brand reach, exposure and subject awareness.
- Led integrated marketing communications strategies.
- Advised leadership on communications strategies and tactics to support department objectives.
- Directed media and public relations activities and cultivating relationships with media.
- Managed website, social and digital media properties.
Association for Enterprise Opportunity (AEO), Washington, D.C.
Vice President, Integrated Communications and Engagement (Previously-Senior Director, Marketing and Communications, September 2012 to February 2016)
- Producer and manager of annual national conference and membership convenings (www.microbusinessconference.org).
- Developing integrated marketing communications strategies to support mission, organizational goals and initiatives.
- Leading media and public relations activities that include pitching, writing media materials and cultivating relationships with media.
- Creating and implementing marketing and public outreach strategy for national awareness campaign.
- Writing executive communications and media communications such as talking points, speeches, statements and op-eds.
- Writing strategic media outreach plans; planning media events.
- Applying strategic tactics to amplify brand exposure and audience engagement.
- Creating and executing membership cultivation and renewal strategies.
- Producing video messages.
- Managing website, social and digital media platforms.
- Managing sponsor relationships.
- Event planning.
- Conducting industry training events on trends and strategies for communications, branding and social media.
- Launched national public-education campaign, including messaging platform, and companion award-winning website and video.
- Launched AEO Digital platform, a suite of digital products such as Blog Talk Radio and podcasts.
- Created training catalogue of marketing and communications resources.
Harvest Seekers Marketing and Media, Sterling, Va.
Independent Consultant | December 2011 to Present Harvest Seekers Marketing and Media is a branding, communications and social media consultancy.
- Developing marketing, branding and repositioning plans for nonprofits, authors and faith-based groups.
- Managing client engagement cycle from defining scope of work to product delivery.
- Combining traditional and new media tactics to create strategies that maximize exposure, brand recognition, and audience engagement.
Heartbeat Magazine, Memphis, Tenn.
Managing Editor | April 2008 to March 2012
Heartbeat Magazine, now defunct, was a quarterly health and lifestyle publication.
- Created and managed editorial calendar.
- Managed editorial budget and visual packaging.
- Copyedited content and managed all phases of production.
- Managed content development, permissions and copyrights.
- Managed and coached freelance writers.
- Created first-ever stylebook.
- Established editorial calendar system.
Prison Fellowship (PFM), Lansdowne, Va.
Department Director, Marketing and Communications | August 2010 to November 2011
PFM is a national outreach organization for ex-prisoners, prisoners and their families.
- Managed seven-member marketing and communications department.
- Managed $1.4 million budget.
- Created and led organization’s marketing strategies to build brand recognition and audience engagement.
- Directed strategies to boost online presence through online marketing and social media.
- Oversaw production of integrated marketing communications for print and online channels.
- Established corporate communications department and created internal communications processes.
- Led public relations and media relations through earned media campaigns.
- Managed development of executive communications.
- Created media training, developed media positioning tactics; spokesperson responsibilities.
- Managed the development, articulation and implementation of first-ever Integrated Marketing and Communications Plan to strategically synchronize the organization’s internal and external messages.
- Launched weekly executive news briefing for senior leadership team.
- Created “story-catching” system to cultivate storytelling opportunities.
- Developed weekly e-newsletter for volunteers and financial partners.
- Enhanced annual report by adding components for video, online and QR codes.
- Increased audience engagement by implementing social media and video strategies.
- Successfully planned and managed several standing-room-only events.
Arch Street Communications, Pawling, New York
Communications Manager | March 2006 to September 2009
Arch Street Communications is a public relations consultancy that serves clients in the government and transportation sectors.
- Directed statewide marketing & media campaign for transportation agency.
- Crafted press releases, talking points and collateral materials for statewide and national media and marketing campaigns.
- Developed compelling, crisp, and timely messages across mediums including social media platforms.
- Prepared proposals for new business to various agencies.
- Developed online resource archive.
- Created in-house style guide and document review process.
- Boosted annual fundraising campaign by 50 percent, and broadened campaign sponsor base.
Poughkeepsie Journal Newspaper | January 2005 to September 2008
The Poughkeepsie Journal is a daily newspaper in the New York Hudson Valley.
Position: Copy Editor
- Edited news copy for structure, flow, accuracy and grammar.
- Prepared news budgets for state, national and world news.
- Designed page layout and subsequent pagination.
- Wrote headlines for news stories, and cut lines for photos and graphics.
Holliday’s Fashions | December 2002 to July 2004
Holliday’s Fashions was a regional women’s apparel company.
Position: Communications and Advertising Director
- Managed corporate and external communications for 24 store locations.
- Led media relations through earned and paid media activities.
- Created and implemented advertising strategies for radio, television, and in-store and special event campaigns.
- Oversaw $400,000 annual advertising budget.
- Directed community relations program.
- Managed development and launch of company’s first website.
KASA Agency | January 2002 to September 2008
KASA Agency was a self-owned marketing and communications consultancy.
Position: Managing Partner and Communications Chief
- Developed strategic communications for local, regional and national marketing and media campaigns.
- Created and implemented clients’ media relations strategies.
- Conceptualized and directed development of collaterals.
- Project management of state, regional and national branding campaigns.
- Developed, articulated, implemented and managed national marketing campaign to promote accountability and increased safety on school buses and daycare vans.
Journalist – Pocono Record Newspaper, Portsmouth Daily Herald Newspaper, Memphis Commercial Appeal, Tri-State Defender Newspaper, GRACE Magazine
Communications Assistant – International Paper Company, Inc.
EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS and AWARDS
BA, Communications and Journalism, The University of Memphis. Masters of Science, Healthcare Administration (in progress), University of Maryland University College.
Online News Association; Public Relations Society of America; Association of Healthcare Journalists, International Association of Business Communicators, American Public Health Association.
- 2013 International Davey Award in three categories: a) online film and video in the nonprofit category; b) art direction; and c) graphics
- 2013 Web Award, Nonprofit Standard of Excellence