JOURNALIST | COMMUNICATOR | STRATEGIST | BRAND-BUILDER
Association for Enterprise Opportunity (AEO), Washington, D.C.
Vice President, Integrated Communications and Engagement (Previously-Senior Director, Marketing and Communications, September 2012 to Present)
- Producer, 2014 annual national conference (www.microbusinessconference.org).
- Developing integrated marketing communications strategies to support mission, organizational goals and initiatives.
- Leading media and public relations activities that include pitching, writing media materials and cultivating relationships with media.
- Creating and implementing marketing and public outreach strategy for national awareness campaign.
- Writing executive communications and media communications such as talking points, speeches, statements and op-eds.
- Writing strategic media outreach plans; planning media events.
- Applying strategic tactics to amplify brand exposure and audience engagement.
- Creating and executing membership cultivation and renewal strategies.
- Producing video messages.
- Managing website, social and digital media platforms.
- Managing sponsor relationships.
- Event planning.
- Conducting industry training events on trends and strategies for communications, branding and social media.
- Launched national public-education campaign, including messaging platform, and companion award-winning website and video.
- Launched AEO Digital platform, a suite of digital products such as Blog Talk Radio and podcasts.
- Created training catalogue of marketing and communications resources.
Harvest Seekers Marketing and Media, Sterling, Va.
Independent Consultant | December 2011 to Present Harvest Seekers Marketing and Media is a branding, communications and social media consultancy.
- Developing marketing, branding and repositioning plans for nonprofits, authors and faith-based groups.
- Managing client engagement cycle from defining scope of work to product delivery.
- Combining traditional and new media tactics to create strategies that maximize exposure, brand recognition, and audience engagement.
Heartbeat Magazine, Memphis, Tenn. (virtual office)
Managing Editor | April 2008 to March 2012
Heartbeat Magazine, now defunct, was a quarterly health and lifestyle publication.
- Created and managed editorial calendar.
- Managed editorial budget and visual packaging.
- Copyedited content and managed all phases of production.
- Managed content development, permissions and copyrights.
- Managed and coached freelance writers.
- Created first-ever stylebook.
- Established editorial calendar system.
Prison Fellowship (PFM), Lansdowne, Va.
Director, Marketing and Communications | August 2010 to November 2011
PFM is a national outreach organization for ex-prisoners, prisoners and their families.
- Managed seven-member marketing and communications department.
- Managed $1.4 million budget.
- Created and led organization’s marketing strategies to build brand recognition and audience engagement.
- Directed strategies to boost online presence through online marketing and social media.
- Oversaw production of integrated marketing communications for print and online channels.
- Established corporate communications department and created internal communications processes.
- Led public relations and media relations through earned media campaigns.
- Managed development of executive communications.
- Created media training, developed media positioning tactics; spokesperson responsibilities.
- Managed the development, articulation and implementation of first-ever Integrated Marketing and Communications Plan to strategically synchronize the organization’s internal and external messages.
- Launched weekly executive news briefing for senior leadership team.
- Created “story-catching” system to cultivate storytelling opportunities.
- Developed weekly e-newsletter for volunteers and financial partners.
- Enhanced annual report by adding components for video, online and QR codes.
- Increased audience engagement by implementing social media and video strategies.
- Successfully planned and managed several standing-room-only events.
Arch Street Communications, Pawling, New York
Communications Manager | March 2006 to September 2009
Arch Street Communications is a public relations consultancy that serves clients in the government and transportation sectors.
- Directed statewide marketing & media campaign for transportation agency.
- Crafted press releases, talking points and collateral materials for statewide and national media and marketing campaigns.
- Developed compelling, crisp, and timely messages across mediums including social media platforms.
- Prepared proposals for new business to various agencies.
- Developed online resource archive.
- Created in-house style guide and document review process.
- Boosted annual fundraising campaign by 50 percent, and broadened campaign sponsor base.
KASA Agency, Memphis, Tenn.
Managing Partner | April 2002 to November 2008
KASA Agency was a full-service marketing and communications agency, of which I was co-owner. The agency was based in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Developed strategic communications for local, regional and national marketing and media campaigns.
- Designed and led media relations strategies.
- Conceptualizing and leading creative development of collaterals.
- Led business development among service, manufacturing and non-profit sectors.
- Project management of state, regional and national branding campaigns.
- Composed and managed strategic marketing and media campaigns.
- Developed, implemented and managed national marketing campaign to promote accountability and increased safety on school buses and daycare vans.
- Journalist/Copy Editor | Poughkeepsie Journal Newspaper | Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
- Journalist/Copy Editor | Pocono Record Newspaper | Stroudsburg, Pa.
- Journalist/Copy Editor | Portsmouth Daily Herald | Portsmouth, N.H.
- Advertising and Communications Manager | Holliday’s Fashions | Memphis, Tenn.
Online News Association; Public Relations Society of America; Association of Healthcare Journalists ; National Association of Black Journalists
- 2013 International Davey Award in three categories: a) online film and video in the nonprofit category; b) art direction; and c) graphics
- 2013 Web Award, Nonprofit Standard of Excellence