Presentation: Storytelling Tools for Nonprofits
South Carolina Microbiz Conference_Storytelling Tools_KNA
Podcast Interview with Benet Wilson | Blogging to Build Your Brand
Kim Alleyne, Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, recorded a new installment for AEO Digital “Blogging to Build Your Brand”. Kim invites blogging extraordinaire Benet J. Wilson to discuss her experience, best practices for blogging (focusing on nonprofits), tips, personal stories, and more. Benet says “It is a good idea for nonprofits to write a blog and be active on social media because it gives you a different reach. You need to plan it effectively – you need to make sure you have the right team overseeing it. And organize yourself in a way that it is not going to overtax you and your team. Start slowly, you don’t have to do everything all at once. But definitely do it and have fun with it!”
Key highlights include:
- Once you start a blog you have to keep it going, that is a beast that has to be fed.
- Use pictures and videos, sometimes a blog post can be just pictures. Videos do not have to be broadcast quality – sometimes short raw clips come across as more transparent.
- Interview people – from your organization, the community, your industry.
- Repurpose content.
- You don’t have to blog everyday. Pick people from your organization that have a strong voice and create a schedule.
- Use your other social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) to promote your blog. Focus on platforms that your audience use.
- Don’t just throw information up there, you have to interact with your community. Social media, including your blog, is not only for broadcasting – you can use it to start conversations, testing, listening, polls, and more.
- Share the space! Highlight great work from other related groups and organizations.